Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Pregnancy Privileges
People have told me that when you are pregnant, others grant you privileges. You no longer need to wait inline at the restaurants. You get a seat when you board public transportations. You get to have right of the way and you are always first inline for anything. Somehow this has not proven to be true in my pregnancy experience. I continue to wait inline at restaurants, at bus stops and at taxi lines. One mother tried to run me over with her baby stroller (because I walked too slow) and instead ran over my mom's foot. She said she already said 'excuse me' so she was not at fault (and I had to yelled at her while my mom's god son threatened to run her over with his body after saying excuse me). One father almost ran me over with his Mercedes on the sidewalk (and Jaime had to kick his tire and the father even got out of the car wanting to instigate a fight while his wife and kid were watching). Today, I was asked by the security guard at this neighboring building of our office tower to wait in the slow taxi line just because I'm not their tenant. The person behind me was trying to defend me and told the security guard that it is crazy that I'm not already put to the beginning of the line given how pregnant I am. I yelled at the security guard and said that he was heartless to ask a pregnant woman who can be due any time now to stand behind 20 people after she has been waiting behind 10 people. I was so mad that I almost broke into tears. I left that taxi line and walked to the nearby hotel instead. In the process I twisted my already swollen ankle. Right now I'm sitting on the cab on my way home after waiting inline for 20 min at the hotel. I told myself not to get too angry but I just cannot believe how people in this town have really lost their sensitivity and compassion. It's very sad and I hope that Chamu will grow up to be any of these heartless people I have encountered during my pregnancy.
-
In all the excitement about Javiercito, we are trying to also make sure our first-born doesn't feel neglected. As a bribe, Javiercito...
-
In our defense, we were just checking out the Macs when he started laughing...
-
It's too soon to tell if we're completely out of the woods yet, but thankfully Javiercito has now stopped bleeding. The liquid they...
4 comments:
Come to Panama, pregnant women and senior & retired people get special treatment and considerations. Seniors and retirees get special privileges and discounts by law, but pregnant women get special treatment like seats in a crowded bus, waiting rooms, get to use the same line as retirees in banks, government places and others. don't have to stand in line at the airport. Guess it is all part of the chivalry and considerate nature in latinos.
Oh... poor you....
I guess we all know what a rude place HK this, but I didn't expect it to be this bad. We must have more kids and teach them to civilized and then plot to take over HK...
jojo, traffic will be a mess in hk tomorrow. stay in happy valley!
also, there is this shop "bat jun" that people order pig's feet from. ready-made. hk style!
so sorry to hear what you went through. People are heartless! i got mad just reading it. Move back to the states!!
Post a Comment